Reactor



I drove late and tired to the the reactor. I had in my mind the weather, the expectation of a place I know very well. The wind, the coast, the drone of the reactor, the birds, the big sky. A busy place that still gives you a sense of solitude. Heavy industry, heavy machinery. The print I made here was with the seals and fly by planes.  As industrial as the site is, it always feels like a link to the wild . A kind of periphery; Curlews and outflows.  A kind of intersection between humankind the natural world    So I had gone with a sense of that, the energy I would bring would be a bit frenetic or have a dense energy.   But Teeside had other ideas. 

Mirror calm, full tide.  It was entirely still.  And I couldn't bring myself to make the kinds of sounds I had planned, or at least had assumed I might make.

 The air was still , the light was very low and grey. I had some amazing ocular migraines inhibiting my sight.  I went and sat on the very shore of the Tees, wth the reactor behind me, it had a predictable drone, and the Tees gave gentle interludes as it lapse at my feet. Curlews , Oyster catchers, red shanks . Wee birds, maybe sparrows, but still air.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animal Wife

Quarry

Books and Sounds