False Mountains


Off the edge of Bollihope moor, in Weardale is this old Quarry. The soil heaps have created small grass covered mountains set agains the flat quarry cliff that is eaten out of the rock.


On arrival two men are smoking and watching the view, there are a few walkers , a photographer

Behind the false mountains is a pond, the edge is boggy with grass and spagnum, in the air a fizzing a trickle of water, the sound of dragonflies hitting the tops of the marsh grass.








Its the lazy afternoon sun of September. I pick a spot that is sheltered from the the path. There are a few women walking their dogs , but I want to be close to the water and the marshy ground.

I think the women seem nice and won't care that I am making this print.

We set up and I settle into the sounds of the space. It is so quiet, not much wind, you can hear the dogs in the distance , no guns the shoot must be over. A destress call of a raptor has silenced the small birds, I think there is a water bird hiding out here too.

I want to say and investigate,  I'm longing to swim in the quarry water. A bit envious of the black lab.

but we have to get home.

There is laundry to be done.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animal Wife

Quarry

Books and Sounds