C-Oven

Some for the Sounds.


I have been missing making the sounds and the print making by necessity is busy. 
It has lost a little of the silence 

I love the domestic everyday nature it has taken on. and there is still quiet and stillness for me as I make the print. but a kind anxiety is there that happens when solitary becomes a group thing. I wanted the printing to feel simple and every day, even though it seems extreme, I don't think it is or should be seen as that. It should be simple and ok and fine to lie still and naked in beautiful places. Or horrible ones I suppose.  I think when I look back on it , I think about the air, the air on skin and the chemical on skin. Salt/UV/Ferric smells . 

The sounds have  return a little on the solitary process even the dog has to stay away. Well mostly. Returning to old haunts, finding new ones. Exploring the possibilities with the kit I use, how it records in weather , how it responds to the spaces I am in. What will I do if I fall down ... I am  good at falling .. and all these places are down a steep bend or in a forest.. 

Kit: I use for those that like to know

an ipad mini / Loopy HD (app)  i-rig adapter for XLR /  SM58 mic /  headphones  

I carry this in my wee suitcase I found at the top of the stairs . I thought long and too much about wether to record in a studio/ wether to replicate the outside indoors and I think that will come later. But I wasn't finished with the spaces and wanted more of the outside air. Greedy for the moor and the air and the space it creates. 


I am hoping for a quiet spot. A gap in the flow of people... I am a bit of spectacle .. Suitcase, walking stick frock . I like the performance prep.

Perhaps it was too much to climb Pendle hill in a gold frock.

It did feel like a good idea at the time, And most of the walkers i meet fain genuine shock!  

When I get to the top of Pendle though its quiet of people, and the wind is wild. 



 I find an excellent place and set up. 





 





I have miss remembered a quote from Anne Carson.  Some thing about coming inside being a small death .. I found the quote again. Her Quote is :

...'My lonely life around me like a moor,
my ungainly body stumping over the mud flats with a look of
      Transformation
that dies when I come in the kitchen door. ' ... 

(from Glass, irony & God)


Now I write it I think yes thats the quote I wanted. I think about the sense of being alive in the moor, the outside the woods, the shore, the kind of death (that isn't always unpleasent) of coming in.  There is comfort. but also loss.  

Its mind numbing , or cold so noisy . By being in the landscape I can think it and absorb it and sometimes hope to sink into it. Making the sounds indoor that evoke these uncertain places  is so different to conjuring up a way to interact with the hill or the Quarry. Sinking in moss. What is my voice here. 




Anne Carson again with a quote from Alkaios of Lesbos

      ... and all around reverberates
         an otherworldly echo if women's awful yearly shrieking (ololygas)


I'm not on Lesbos though. This is Pendle, famous for Witches and Quakers. Silence and Silencing. 

a type of pilgrimage of sorts. On the best of sunny days.

I am mistaken for a monk. 
I am watched by one dog and ignored by its owner, my noises seem to call in the sheep

I think about Witches and Quakers and how to make a sound in this wind. I don't have ololyga . 

 -----------------  eleleu / alalzo / ololyzo / elelizo / alala / -----------------------------------------

 -- climatic communal celebration calamitous sounds -- Coven 

C-oven  




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animal Wife

Quarry

Books and Sounds